Learning Theory post #1

I’ve had many great moments as a student but perhaps the best moment took place in my last year’s psychology course, PSYC 339. This online course was so well delivered and I felt I learned a lot from this course. I’ve taken many assignments, projects throughout my academic years, however, none of them made me feel as productive as the project I did in PSYC 339. We were asked to write a final essay in PSYC 339, just like a general university course’s final project. However, in order to write the essay, there are some practical work that I need to finish first. The project is about life interviewing with an older adult, then assess the effectiveness of a life review to the older adult and apply what we learned in class. The reason why I love this project is I think this project is so practical and it challenged me in a good way. It allows me to be an actual therapist and apply the concepts I learned from class to the real world situation. In my opinion, learning concepts are good but they limit our ability to apply them into the real world. The ability to use the knowledge and make the knowledge work is something we should be focusing on. I think the way to test our understanding of concepts and theories is how well we apply these knowledge in real life situations. Another advantage of this kind of learning is that some students might put their heart in it and work very hard because this type of learning feels like “you are really doing something big”. Exams and readings are necessary for learning for sure, but they are just not practical. Some students may got discouraged by a failing grade on their exam. I hope there will be more opportunities like this in the future.

1. runyisong

Hi Robert!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I also took the course PSYC339 this semester. I feel the same way about your experience. This class provides hands-on opportunities for students to gain a deeper understanding of the course rather than just focusing on grades. I also found the class to be a good combination of theoretical knowledge and real life while taking it. This is very helpful for students to understand the concepts. The class is actually very relevant to our lives, and the use of practice to integrate life and concepts helps students to better appreciate the content of the class. Overall very good blog, thank you for sharing!